How to Grow Lemons At Home and Never Buy Them Again
It is not a big deal to buy your produce from stores and marketplace as a lot of people sees it as a convenient and simple thing to do. However, there are some fruits that are actually somewhat annoying to continue buying as you rarely ever need a lot of them. We usually end up spending extra on pre-packed bundles of six- four of which will go overripe before you start to use them.
Let us take lemon as an example, lemons are very delicious to use as garnish, in drinks, and as flavoring agents. But it is very rare that you will need a whole bunch of them at once. If you possibly do, the amount you spend on them can pile up.
However, have you ever considered if there is a way that people never thought of which will help get rid of the need to continue purchase the fruit anymore? What if there was a hassle-free, cost-efficient, and satisfying way to get them? The answer is very simple: you can just plant a lemon tree yourself.
It is quite understandable that not many people know how gardening and planting work. It can be an intimidating concept, but if you don’t know where to start, this article will help you out. Yes, it might be complicated but we promise you that it really isn’t.
HERE IS HOW TO GROW LEMONS AT HOME & NEVER BUY THEM AGAIN
The Benefits of Home-Grown Plants
You may be thinking that growing plants on your own at home is a difficult task and has too much of a hassle, especially when you can easily get it at the store. The truth is that there are several positive sides to home-grown plants which include:
· You have control: When you go for store-bought produce, there is a limit to what you can control. You will not be able to decide on the amount of fertilizer used and the kinds of pesticides implemented. But in a situation whereby the planting was done by yourself, you are guaranteed to know what you are eating, and how fresh it is.
· They have more vitamins and nutrients: Freshly picked fruits and vegetables have a lot of more nutrients in them. This is simply because they aren’t subjected to long periods of transportation to get to grocery stores.
· You decide when to pick them: You have the decision to choose for a particular ripeness. Certainly, you have the right kind when it is been grown by yourself at home.
· It can be as fresh as you want: You can directly pick fruit and eat or use them right away to get the most out of them. In marketplaces, you will not be able to guarantee if the fruit is fresh as you want.
· It is cheaper: In total, growing a lemon tree truly takes time but it is a great investment. In the long run, it is much cheaper than going back to the store again and again just to purchase it.
How to Grow Lemons at Home
Now, you are aware of how great lemons are, and how much positive importance you can derive from home-grown plants. What is left for you to know is how you can grow these lemons by yourself so as not to ever buy it anymore from stores. First, you need to gather your ingredients which include
– A lemon
– A container or possibly pot
– Potting soil
– Plastic firm (it must be breathable)
– A sunny spot
– A bucket
– Watering device (watering can or squirt bottle)
When all these materials are ready, you can start the planting process and here is how to go about it:
1. You will start by firstly preparing your soil. Doing this, place the potting soil inside a bucket and pour in a little amount of water to it just to slightly dampen it.
2. Then fill up your pot with damp soil, leaving about one inch of empty space around the top just beneath the lip of the pot.
3. Cut a lemon and remove one seed from the fruit.
4. For you to get all the flesh off the seed, you can suck on it. Meanwhile, you should note that your seed must be moist when you are about to pot it.
5. You can now plant the lemon seed in your pot. It should be buried around half of an inch under the soil.
6. Fill a squirt bottle or a standard watering can with water and water your lemon seed slowly. It is necessary that you ensure that the soil doesn’t become overly damp, so water it in a moderation level.
7. Cover your pot up with your breathable plastic firm.
8. Take your pot and place it at a place that is warm and sunny, or turn on your grow light and place it beneath.
9. The lemon seed should start to sprout after one or two weeks. When this happens, take the plastic cover off.
10. You will then need to take the pot and move it to a place that is warm, but no liable to direct sunlight.
When done with this process, the next thing is to ensure that your lemon tree continues to grow in a healthy way. It is actually a long journey from sapling to the fruit-bearing tree.
While the tree is still young, you will need to ensure that the soil around it remains moist. Kindly note that the pot used should have enough holes for fluid drainage. Lemons trees should be exposed to direct sunlight for 8hours approx in a day. Therefore, it is advisable to take the pot out when you are set for work and take it back when you get home.
The moment your trees grow, you will need to regularly transplant it out into bigger containers so that there will be enough space to get bigger and stronger. If needed, you can make use of fertilizer. It will reach a stage that the trees may get too big to keep indoors or simply become hard to repeatedly take it out. At such point, you can take it out to your yard or to a porch or balcony.
When you take care of your tree very well, soon you will be able to enjoy delicious and healthy lemons, right from your home.
The Benefits of Lemons
Lemons are great fruits that are important at home for several purposes and after all, they are not the usual kind of you can just peel and eat. Meanwhile, a regular supply of lemons can have fantastic benefits for your health and body. Here are some of the nutritional benefits of lemon:
· Lowering the risk of cancer
· Prevention against kidney stone digestion
· It promotes better heart health
· It is effective for guarding against anemia.
· It aids better digestion
· It can prevent weight gain.
It is a great practice to grow not only lemons at home but other veggies too. It will not only save your money but will also add wonderful, natural air to your home and offers the freshest and healthiest lemons you could hope for.
Do you find this interesting? Take your time and make further research. Learn how to grow your own fruits and veggies, you will be marveled at how much of a difference it makes.
Share to a friend who needs this